Things to do Kildare – Visit the Bog of Allen Nature Centre
At the Bog of Allen Nature Centre, one of the top natural tourist attractions in Co. Kildare the IPCC celebrate the wonder and the beauty of Irish peatlands and their wildlife. There are plenty of things to do and activities for all ages and interests at the visitor centre and at nearby Lodge Bog.
Plan Your Visit – Take a Virtual Tour
Watch our short virtual tour video on the left which will give you a good idea of things to do, what we have on offer for families, children and other guests coming to the Bog of Allen Nature Centre. Activities include pond dipping, nature crafts, frog hunt, bog walk, insect eating plants, creepy crawly search, museum, garden tour. A visit to the Bog of Allen Nature Centre is one of the top things to do in Kildare.
- Lodge Bog: is open at all times
- The Bog of Allen Nature Centre: Monday to Friday, daily 9am to 5pm (last visit 4pm).
- Closed: Christmas, Bank Holidays.
- Weekend Openings: By Appointment
- Special weekend opening to the public during May for Biodiversity Week, July for International Bog Day, August for Heritage Week and September for Culture Night (see events).
A €5 donation to help IPCC’s work is requested from adults. Family Admission (two adults, two children) €15. Admission is free for IPCC’s Friends of the Bog.
Where we Are
- GPS Co-Ordinates: N 53° 16′ 42.392″ E -6° 56′ 34.125″”
- Nearest Town: Allenwood (5km)
- County: Kildare
- Country: Ireland
Directions: Travelling to the Bog of Allen Nature Centre
Car: The Bog of Allen Nature Centre is located on the R414 between the towns of Rathangan and Allenwood in Co. Kildare. It can be approached from the M7/N7 or from the N4/M4 roads.
Public Transport: The Nature Centre cannot be directly reached using public transport. The nearest location for public bus is in Allenwood which is 5km from the Nature Centre.
Bog of Allen Nature Centre, Irish Peatland Conservation Council, Lullymore, Rathangan, Co. Kildare, Ireland. Tel: +353-45-860133; Email: email@example.com
Information for Families
A nature centre guide is available during visits to undertake a selection of activities with children. There is a quiz to fill, a scavanger hunt, colour dabs activity and free nets and basins for children to fish for mini-beasts in the ponds at the nature centre. Please follow this link for more ideas for family visits. There is a boardwalk trail on Lodge Bog and families regularly attend special event tours organised at weekends. Adults can enjoy a refreshing cup of tea or coffee at the picnic tables provided in the wildlife gardens while the kids are happily occupied.
Visitor Maps, Guides, Trails and Things to Do
Use the links to get more information about:
- Bog of Allen Nature Centre
- Lodge Bog
- Things to Do Each Season – a list of ideas for your visit to the Bog of Allen
- Museum Trail – the Story of Bogs – English Language Trail – Irish Language Trail
- Garden Trail – the Story of Bogs – English Language Trail – Irish Language Trail
Facilities at the Bog of Allen Nature Centre
- Visitor Guidance
- Activities for Children
- Picnic Area
- Free Parking
- Wheel Chair Access (ground floor only and gardens)
- Average Visit Time 60-90 minutes
- Educational packs to take away
- Nature Shop of field studies equipment, resources & wildlife charts
- Professional Educational Staff
- Curriculum-inked field courses
- Audio-visual materials to view
- Field Studies equipment and resources
- Permanent Exhibitions to View
- Wildlife Gardens
- Greenhouse of carnivorous plants
- Open all year
- Nearby Lodge Bog Nature Reserve with Visitor Boardwalk